Monday, March 28, 2016

Confidence and Compliments






Continuing the discussion on Confidence.


Compliments, humility, and confidence.

The triad of doom. Or the three-way that just ain’t happening in my head.





I grew up with the distinct impression that humility was valued over arrogance or boasting.
 
This spawned a bizarre relationship with compliments.
I love to compliment others, but get scared to death when anyone compliments me.








 




Basically, notice anything you appreciate about me and I turn into a deer in the headlights.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I know what I'm supposed to say, 'thank you,' and graciously nod acknowledgement of kind remark.
 
However, my instinct is to deny, deny, deny--lest I come off arrogant or boastful.










If I had it my way, I wouldn't only deny, I'd spend a good half hour demonstrating my numerous flaws in order to disprove said compliment--"There! Humble, baby!"




 

Except this isn't humility either, and it sure heck isn't good for confidence levels.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have gained the ability to stare lamely for less than ten seconds before the nod and thanks. It's the best I can do.

 












To be perfectly honest, I often say a silent prayer that no one will notice me or say anything to me, so I don't have to face this terrifying situation of how best to handle a compliment.





 

 

 

I'm okay with me, as long as no one points anything out.

 

No comments: